Friday, October 2, 2009
HYWWP October '09 Newsletter
Hello and happy October everyone! October is one of my most favorite months of the year, taking a very
close second to December. I love how, with October, comes crisp air that officially begins "sweater weather", piles of colorful leaves, football season, pumpkins with faces and children getting ready for Halloween night! Its also the time that we scrapbookers seem to nest in more and settle into some crop time! If you are looking for inspiration or a challenge, HYWWP is the place to be! We have our traditional monthly challenges as well as our annual Scrap Pink for the month of October in our effort to endorse breast cancer awareness. More details below!
October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. Breast Cancer affects 1 in 8 women and thousands of new cases are diagnosed each year. However, studies have shown that with some good information and a solid awareness about this disease, early detection is the key! Please join us for the entire month as we host our annual Scrap Pink event at HYWWP. There are some fantastic scrappy and non scrappy challenges, games and times of just celebrating friends, courage, survival and reminding eachother to "make time for the girls."
Top 5 Hints for Great Halloween Photos
5. Jack-O-Lantern Jive
Light your jack-o-lantern with two or three candles and turn your flash off to capture the perfect pumpkin picture. Because the jack-o-lanterns are less antsy than your little ghosts and ghouls, you can use a longer shutter speed and set your camera on a still surface.
4. Eerie Effects
Remember holding flashlights under your face when telling a scary story when you were a kid? The lighting can be terribly effective and fun so pull out those flashlights!
3. Spooky silhouettes
Use the natural outdoor dusk light to create spooky silhouettes! This is also the time to get those photos of the costumes. Using the flash will wash out those little goblin faces. Use the natural light to your advantage.
2. Awesome Idea
Capture the transformation of your kiddo into whatever character they are turning into! Take the pictures from the same angle to keep consistency. Putting on the costume, putting on the make up, mask, etc.
1. Top 10
Want some more ideas for fantastic photos? Click on the following link to find Kodak's Top 10 Tips
Take loads and loads of pictures, have a great time scrapping them and don’t forget to share them in our gallery!
Submitted by: Erin Bailey (aunt e)
Sponsor of the Month
From the Just Rite Stampers website:
JustRite® has over a 100 year history in making product for the commercial stamping industry. It was acquired by Millennium Marking Company in 2004. JustRite began using its knowledge of stamp products to introduce stamp making technology to crafters.
A deep appreciation of scrapbookers and card makers led us to introduce a growing line of products to serve their needs starting in 2005. We are using our experience in making quality stamps and knowledge of ink chemistry to bring products to market that bring out your creativity energy in the projects you create.
Today we are expanding our company and the products we offer by creating a design team and product development team to bring market ideas and products to inspire you.
Our goal is to provide retailers with products and programs that put the fun back in retailing. Our products are easy to buy, easy to sell and give the retailer a Big Advantage!
Check out the message board and gallery to see what our Design Team creates with the wonderful Just Rite products!
October Spotlight Member!
"Getting to Know" Marcee Rodgers!!!
View Marcee's Blog here!
1. What is your middle name? Elisabeth. It is of Hebrew origin, meaning oath of God.
2. What do you consider your best accomplishments to this day? Getting help to get healthy, my marriage, my ability to change and grow.
3. When do you scrap the most? In the morning when both of my kids are in school.
4. Do you prefer to scrap alone or with others? Definitely alone.
5. What is your favorite food indulgence? My husbands guacamole
6. Who is someone you admire? My mother! Having children of my own, I now realize how much time, energy and love she put into raising me.
7. What scrapbookers do you find talented and more fitted to your style?
8. Describe your scrap space in 3 words: Organized, needing more light, minimal workspace
9. What is on your to-do list? Daily: housework, chauffeuring, meals, coffee, computer time, me time
10. What is your favorite scrap store? Scrapbook Fever in Salem, Oregon
11. What is your favorite scrap line? Cosmo Cricket
12. What do you check out first when you come to HYWWP? I just click "view new posts since your last visit" and go from top to bottom.
13. What are your favorite TV shows? CSI, The Mentalist and pretty much anything crime/forensic related.
14. What are your Top 5 Favorite movies? Green Mile, The Notebook, Harry Potter Series, Underworld Series and Steel Magnolias
15. What are your Top 5 favorite books? Memoirs of a Geisha, Joy Luck Club, The Kitchen Gods Wife, The 13th Tale and Into the Woods
16. Describe your fashion style. I like simple (dark jeans, solid tops) with some color added in and neat shoes. I rarely wear any jewelry except my wedding ring. I won't wear shirts with collars, 3/4 sleeves, mock turtle necks, button downs and prefer scoop necks or v-necks. No high waist mom jeans of tapered ankles.
17. What is your favorite chore? I like the before and after of vacuuming and a clean kitchen.
18. What is your least favorite chore? My kids rooms! I'm refusing to help anymore. If they can take it out, I'm pretty sure they can put it away at ages 8 and and 5.5.
NEW feature at HYWWP! Guest Design Team Member!
Guest Designer for October, November, & December is.....CHELSEA LANGWORTHY!
That's right! We have a fun new feature at HYWWP! For 3-month terms, we will be searching for new Guest Design Team Members! Our guest DT members will receive products each month during their term and will be required to make a least 2 creations a month with those products. Guest DT members will be required to be active in our forums and in our gallery. In future months, we will be holding a contest or a call for our next Guest DT member! We would love to see what you have to offer, so get those layouts and projects ready!
For October through December, Chelsea will be our Guest DT member! Chelsea is sure to inspire you all with her adorable layouts and projects.
If you are interested in being a future Guest DT Member, please join the message board today and start posting. Participation is a key factor in our decision in choosing a Guest DT!
Ongoing Challenges for October!
There's always something fun happening at our message board! Chatty contests, RAK giveaways, and more! Come on over to the message board and check out the ongoing list of challenges: Click Here
Special Challenge Additions for October:
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and what better time to remind others to get that mammogram!!
Here is what I want you to do, make at least 5 ATCs that express the message to get your exam. Post these in your doctor’s office, bathroom mirror at work, stop in your grocery store ladies room and don’t forget our favorite scrap stores!! Be creative; I’m sure you can think of other places!!
If you can show us a photo proving you have displayed your cards, you will be entered in a drawing for a RAK!!
You have until October 31st to get this done!!!
Card Challenge-Girlfriend Card
What better way to show a friend you are thinking of her than with a card and a note somewhere on it saying October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month?
You can make as many cards as you like but will only be entered once for a RAK!!!
Please post your card in this post and the gallery by October 31st.
Submitted by Roe (vellumx)
October Gallery Inspiration
"Halloween Cards for 2009" by Paula
"Orlando Halloween" by Robin
"Halloween 2007" by Jenny
"BOOtiful Spooks!" by Grammy
Sketch of the Month
This month's sketch is brought to you by one of our very talented members, Trisha! Trisha has shared some awesome sketches with us that she has created, and here is one she wanted to share for this month.
We'd love to see your creations based on this sketch...please upload to our gallery or on the message board to show us what you've done. Enjoy!
A SPOOKtacular Mini Album!
Before the end of this newsletter, we want to show you one more fun Halloween project made by Trisha! This cute Halloween mini album was made with leftover supplies...what a perfect way to use up those scraps! Try it out and see what you can make from your scraps and leftovers!
Don't forget to check out our online gallery for lots of inspiration and great projects!